This 15-days overland journey across Bhutan combines the best cultural and natural aspects of eastern, central and western Bhutan. It gives an opportunity to discover the lesser known areas in far eastern Bhutan along with the notable sights of central and western Bhutan.
The journey takes you from Guwahati Airport (Assam, India) through Samdrup Jongkhar (eastern gateway to Bhutan) traversing the rugged terrain of the east (Samdrup Jongkhar, Tashigang, Tashi Yangtsi, and Mongar) and the gentle valleys of central and western Bhutan (Trongsa, Bumthang, Wangdue, Punakha, Thimphu, and Paro).
This journey spans over six major passes and covers a distance of about 900 kilometers/ 535 miles.
* On arrival Guwahati Airport, you will go through the Immigration formalities and meet with Bhutan Journeys associate from Guwahati.
* 3 hours’ drive through Assam to Samdrup Jongkhar (eastern gateway to Bhutan).
* Depart to Trashigang, takes about 7 -8 hours drive.
* Pass through Deowathang, military base in eastern Bhutan
* Enjoy the lush tropical vegetation Wamgrong to Kaling.
* Visit weaving center started by Women Association of Bhutan.
* Kaling Blind School and passes through Yonphula Domesstic Airport
* Shebrutse or Kalung college, 1st university in Bhutan
* Trashigang (3,375ft.), the biggest and most populated districts in the country.
* Morning: visit Trashigang Dzong
* Depart to Tashiyangtsi and takes less than 3 hours
* Visit Gomphu Kora, and Doksum village
* Evening leisure.
* Morning visit Chorten Kora
* Institute of Art and Craft
* Afternoon visit Bumdeling National Park Information Center, National Park Center
* Stroll through town.
* Depart to Mongar crossing Chazam Bridge and Kolung River.
* Take a diversion road to visit Dametsi, a temple perched on top of steep hill founded by Chorten Zangmo, the most sacred monastery in eastern Bhutan.
* Pack lunch along the way.
* Drive through Rahdi Loop and explore the Radhi village.
* Drive to Mongar.
* Day excursion to Lhuntsi to see the country side and rural life style
* Spectacular landscape with cliffs
* Coniferous forest turpentine is extracted and lemon grass grown in abundance.
* Pass village Atsho and steep ascent drive to Lhuntsi Dzong and its town
* Visit Khoma village to see the weaving of superb dress for woman called “kushuthara” woven with the brocading techniques.
* Return to Mongar.
* Transfer to Bumthang, “the spiritual heartland of the kingdom”.
* Drive takes around 4-5 hours and it is a long driving day.
* Enjoying the most breathtaking drive with great watching cascading waterfalls through lush forest to Singor.
* Pass the highest motorablepass in the kingdom, the Thrumshingla pass (4000m/12, 465ft).
* Botanical garden of Rhododendrons, where 23 types of Rhododendrons are available during the flowering season.
* Descend to URAvillage through a rugged terrain.
* Leisure time to experience the local living.
* Morning visit Ura Monastery, drive to visit Sombrong village
* Depart to Jakar over Shetrangla pass(3590m)
* En-route visit Mebartsho( flaming lake) where Guru Rinpoche reveal the hidden treasure from these lake.
* Most spectacular valley and an ideal place for hiking easily accessible to visit some of most sacred sites in Bhutan.
* Visit JampayLhakhang, Kurjey Lhakhang, Tamshing Monastery, Red Panda Brewery and Jakar town.
* Morning depart to Trongsa.
* Visit Yathra/woolen weaving center
* Drive through Chumey Valley over Yongtong lass pass (11,800ft).
* On arrival at Trongsa, visit Ta Dzong “The Tower of Trongsa” resorted into an elegant museum that represents a tasteful blend of tradition and modernity
* Lunch at the Museum Cafeteria
* Afternoon visit Trongsa Dzong, the most massive in structure and its architecture.
* Depart to Punakha and drive take about 4-5 hours
* Enjoy your journey through the stunning views of the amazing forest and villages.
* Meadows of Yak herders over Phelepass (3350m 11000ft) surrounded by Jigme Singye Wangchuck National Park.
* Descend to Punakha, and experience the beautiful sceneries of Bhutan.
* Drive further to Punakha about 30 minutes from Wangdue.
* Morning, visit Punakha Dzong (winter residence of Je-Khenpo “Chief Abbot” and central monk bod) architecturally impressive * Dzong in the country, built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngwang Namgyel.
* Picnic lunch at the riverside.
* Drive to Thimphu, over Dochula pass (350m, 10,000ft.) which offers a magnificent view of eastern Himalayas.
* Descend to Thimphu.
Visit following places of cultural interest:
* National Memorial Chorten (Stupa)
* Kuensel Phodrang (Buddha Statue, 169ft)
* Simply Bhutan Museum
* Takin Enclosure
* Traditional Paper Factory
* Excursion hike to Taktsang (Tiger Nest) monastery
* Hot stone bath experience.
Transfer to airport for your international flight.