Bhutan has been recognized as one of 10 global centers for environmental conservation because of its amazing diversity of flora and fauna. Bhutan is one of the leading countries in the world for prioritizing the protection of the environment while pursuing developmental activities. The change in altitude from the high elevations in the north of Bhutan to the plains in the south is ever more impressive.
The altitude declines, from approximately 7,500 meters to 200 meters above sea level, within a distance of less than 175 km giving you a general idea of the topography of Bhutan. Bhutan has been described as a natural paradise because of the level of rich and pristine biodiversity. Even as the world mourns the loss of fragile ecosystems, this small Himalayan kingdom is emerging as an example to the international community, with more than 72 percent of its land still covered by forest.
Much of this precious landscape is protected and designated as national parks, abounding with a great variety of rare plants and wildlife species. This tour offers you the opportunity to explore and experience the diverse sights of the country, taking adventure walks and interacting with local people.
* Arrive at Paro international airport.
* Meet with the representative from Bhutan Journeys.
* Transfer to your hotel
* Early morning for Birding, breakfast will be brought to area.
* After breakfast Hike to Taktsang monastery (Tiger Nest)
* Birding along the way
* Transfer to Thimphu, birding along the Paro and Thimphu River.( 2 hours’ drive)
* Check in at the hotel
* Afternoon birding around sewage pond, Spot birds like Ibisbill, Black-tailed Crake, Shelduck, Common Merganser, Crested King fisher white wagtail Brown Dipper, Ruddy White-capped and Plumbeous Water Redstart, White Wagtail, Rufous-breasted Accentor, Common and Green Sandpiper .
* Drive to your hotel.
* Early morning drive rive to Dochula pass (3150m)
* Breathtaking views of eastern Himalayan peaks
* Drive through a nice habitat for birds. , Stripe-throated and Rufous-vented Yuhina, Spotted Nutcracker, Long-tailed Minivet, Rufous-vented and Coal Tit, Spotted and Black –faced Laughing Thrush and blue –fronted Red Star Long tailed minivet
* Visit Lamperi Botanical Garden and hike through nature trail spot Brown parrotbill, Scimitar Babbler, Darjeeling and Rofocus billed woodpecker and while collared blackbird.
* Drive to Punakha valley and birding along the way. Great and Golden-throated Barbet, Long-tailed Shrike, Spotted Dove, Red-vented and Black Bulbul, Common Kestrel.
* Drive back your hotel
* Early morning drive towards the north of Punakha valley to Tashithang area for birding. You look for Asian-barred Owlet, Osprey, White-bellied Heron, Pallas’s Fish Eagle, Lesser Fish Eagle, Great Cormorant, Black-throated Sunbird, Green-tailed Sunbird, Black-throated Yuhina, Striped-throated Yuhina, Whiskered Yuhina, Straited Yuhina, Scarlet Minivet, Long-tailed Minivet, Grey-chinned Minivet, Barred Cuckoo Dove, Fire-breasted Flowerpecker, Darjeeling Woodpecker, Bay WoodpeckerFinch, and Wedge-tailed Green Pigeon.
* Afternoon visit Punakha Dzong, Palace of Great Happiness and ideally located between two Rivers.
* Birding along the Pho Chu looking for White Bellied Heron, Crested King fisher, River Lapwing and ducks.
* Transfer early morning to Phobjikha and birding along the way
* Look for Wards Trogon, Yellow –rumped honeyguide, Grey – Bellied Tesia, Grey –hooed, Pale blue Fly catcher,
* Early morning for birding along the road.
* Afternoon drive to Phobjikha; winter habitat for black necked cranes.
* Evening at leisure
* Morning transfer to Trongsa,
* Birding along the Pele la pass (,3 400ft )
* Search for high altitude species, Blood Pheasant, Satyr Tragopan, Himalayan Monal, Collared Grosbeak, Rofouse breasted woodpecker,Rosefinch, Black Eagle, Blyth Swift,
* Continue your drive through meadows of yak herders to Trongsa
* Along the way, spot for Blacked Winged shrike, Scimitar babbler, Yellow Rapmed Honeyguide, Nepal House Martin, , Blyth Swift,
* Late afternoon explore for birds around the hotel.
* Transfer to Zhemang. Tingtibe
* Drive take about 6 hours and lot of stops on the way , White-browed, Coral-billed and Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler, Blue-throated Barbet Rufous-bellied Eagle, Long-tailed Shrike, Sultan and Yellow-cheeked Black-throated and Striated Prinia, Rufous Woodpecker, Tit, Common Green Magpie, Great, , Mountain Hawk Eagle, Common Kestrel, Ashy-throated, Black-crested and Striated Bulbuls and various minivets, Rusty-cheeked Scimitar Babbler.
* You will have opportunity to see Golden Langur, rare money found only in Bhutan
* Explore Tingtibi for whole day.
* Spot for the Great Hornbill, Rufous-necked Hornbill, Wreated Hornbill, Lesser Yellownape, Scarlet minivet, Sultan Tit, Black-eared Shrike-babbler, White-bellied Erpornis, Long-tailed Sibia,Silver-eared Mesia, Red-billed Leiothrix, Bar-throated Siva, Blue-Winged Siva, Red-tailed Minla,Red-faced Liocichla, Rufous-necked Laughingthrush, Rufous-chinned Laughingthrush, Straited Laughingthrush, White-crested Laughingthrush, Jungle Babbler, Golden Babbler, Grey-throated Babbler, Pin-striped Tit Babbler, Long-billed Wren Babbler, Eye-browed Wren Babler, Scaly Wren Babbler, Pygmy Wren Babbler, Puff-throated Babbler, Abbott’s Babbler, Chestnut-crowned Warbler, Grey-cheeked Warbler,Whistler’s Warbler, Rufous-faced Warbler, Black-faced Warbler, Mountain Tailorbird, Common Tailorbird, Rufescent Prinia, Straited Prinia, Mountain Bulbul, Red-whiskered Bulbul, Black-crested Bulbul, Common Green Magpie, Black-hooded Oriole, Maroon Oriole, Slender-billed Oriole, Greater Racket-tailed Drongo, Lesser Racket-tailed Drongo, Spangled Drongo, Common Iora, Black-winged Cuckooshrike, Large Cuckooshrike, Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike, Large Woodshrike, Long-tailed Broadbill, , Pied Falconet, etc.
* Transfer to Bumthang, via Trongsa
* Drive takes about 6-7 hours
* Drive to Yotong la pass for birding, spot for Chesnut Crown, Plain Mountain Finch, Rufous – Fronted Tits, Salty Blue Flycatchers
Descend to Chumey valley
* Chhumey Valley, Yathra (Woolen) weaving center at Zuney Village
* Pass over Kila lass (2700M) and descend to Jakar, main center of Bumthang districts
* Depart Jakar over the Ura la , spectacular view of Gangkar Puensum view point and
* Descend to Ura Valley.
* Drive through a rugged terrain over Thrumshing la (3800m)
* Main habitat for Blood Pheasants, Snow Pigeons, Spotted Nutcraker, Bush Robin, Fire trail Sun birds and many others species
* Descend to Sengor, best spot for Satyr Tragopan, Gold- Napped Finch, Hoary – Throated barwings, Slender – billed Scimitar
* Early morning, drive to pass to spot Blood Pheasant, Satyr Tagopan,
* Drive back to Campsite for breakfast
* Depart through a subtropical vegetation, one of best birding area in Bhutan
* Search for Great and Golden Barbets, Rufous Necked Hornbill, Mountain Hawk, Blue – Winged Laughing Thrush and many more to be added to your birding list.
* Full day spend birding along the road to Limithang.
* Search for Rufous Necked Hornbill, Long tail Shrike, Great breasted Scimitar, scarlet Finches, Great Barbets, Asian barred and collared owlet, Chesnit billed Nuthatch, Black Eagle, Rufous Billed Niltavas and several other species.
* Morning spend birding
* Afternoon drive to Monager
* Explore Mongar town
* Early morning drive to Tashigang and do birding around Korila pass, spot for Hoary-throated Barwing, Long-tailed and Short-billed Minivets, Bhutan Laughingthrush, Chestnut-bellied Nuthatch, Brownish-flanked Bush-Warbler and Spotted Wren-Babbler Steak-breasted Scimitar-Babbler, Grey-winged Blackbird, Hoary-throated Barwing,
* Drive to Tashigang
* Transfer to border town of Samdrup Jongkhar
* On the way spot for Pies falconet, Dark-rumped swift, Pin tailed green pigeon, Sultan tit, Black-backed forktail, Red-headed trogon, Black eagle, House sparrow, Jungle babbler, Grey-sided laughing thrush, etc.
* Descend to the foothills temperate vegetation, habitat for Rufous-necked Hornbill, Beautiful Nuthatch, and Gold-naped Finch. Wreathed Hornbill, the rare Violet Cuckoo, Pied Falconet, and the Greater Rufous-breasted Parrotbill. Silver-eared Mesia, White-rumped shama and Greater flameback.
* Depart from Samdrup jongkhar to Guwahati Airport for your onward destination flight.
For travel during high season